Monday, March 28, 2011

UFO 10: Hemmed jeans

These jeans have been on my list since late last September. And they only took me about 30 minutes to finish, so what the heck have I been waiting for? Especially since these jeans will serve me much better now that I can wear them instead of just letting them take up space in my drawer... especially since my favorite jeans have now official been relegated to "work only" jeans (you just can't save them after they've sprouted holes in the side seams and knees).

I found them for $9 on clearance last September. They were a nice color, a good fit (at least directly after washing... the joys and downfalls of stretch denim...) and you can't beat $9! But being only 5'5", I'm on the short end of the "normal" jeans length range, which means that these things were nearly 4 inches too long.

No before photo, but here's the after photo

Can you tell they're hemmed? If you look closely you can see the fold... I used a method that keeps the original hem intact. You can find a tutorial for it over here at Sew La Tea. Worked well... I haven't trimmed the extra off yet, but I'll probably take it off with my serger. Easy, peasy, done. :) What have you finished or gotten off your list lately?

4 comments:

Emily said...

That is brilliant! They look great.

Carrie said...

So just for clarification, my brain doesn't work good figuring out sewing, :0) all the sewing is on the inside right? Sorry I'm retarded! They do look awesome. :0)

Rosie said...

yes. you flip them up (like you're rolling them up) and stitch then right under the factory hem, then flip it all back to the inside. Pin it before stitchin to see how it works. And I'd recommend using a pair of jeans that you like the length on at a template. :)

Carrie said...

Thanks Rosie! :0)