Well, late last week I noticed these two shirts in my donation pile:
I haven't worn them in a while and don't love them anymore (actually I do love the red one, but I don't love the holes it developed in the front). And looking at them I realized that it would take almost zero effort to turn them into skirts for Allison.
I like the maroon one much better than the red. Its a heavier t-shirt knit and just behaves much better as a skirt than the thin knit from the red shirt. I also was able to keep the exisiting hem on the marron one, but had to cut it off on the red one to get rid of the aforementioned holes. Allison likes them, she's worn them and they'll make good play clothes for this summer. I'll call it a success.