Tuesday, August 6, 2013

Legos: Best Toy Ever or Worst Toy Ever?

Let's discuss...

On the pro-lego side we've got the fact that they entertain the boy for HOURS. HOURS. He'll sit and build, and rebuild. Then build a city to go with his build, and heros and bad guys to be in the city. Plus they're a great imaginative & problem solving toy. Build doesn't work? Find the problem and fix it. Not to mention fine motor skills.


On the con-lego side... They get strewn about the house. Legos are everywhere, in spite of the fact that we have a Lego table for building and a big bin for storing them. Plus they get lost, and if the special tiny piece that he's looking for it lost, its a tragedy. Massive, pre-school level tragedy. And have you ever stepped on a Lego? 'Nuff said!


But here's the real kicker: EVERY single tantrum the boy throws is about Legos. My build isn't working. My build broke. I can't find my build. I want 10 more minutes to build. Allison looked at my build. Lindsey broke my build. I don't want to go anywhere because I'll be bored without my Legos. I don't want to go to bed because I'm not done building. I want that Lego set, and mean mommy won't buy it for me (which is a whole other con: they're EXPENSIVE!).


 So... what do you think? The tantrums have me about ready to get rid of all our legos... because they're the worst toy ever. Except for the fact that they're the best toy ever...


1 comment:

thatmormonlady said...

They are dearly loved at our house. We have a train table that we use for our legos and it keeps them fairly contained. They do spread, but not too badly. Also, we've gotten big buckets of generic legos from walmart on black Friday for Christmas two years in a row now and that gives them plenty to build with. Then there isn't a big deal about "sets." Although they still have big dreams. :)