Wednesday, January 15, 2014

The Great Frigid Fiasco

Otherwise known as: Moving Day in a Polar Vortex.

Oh yes, my friends, you read that right. Polar Vortex. Capable of turning nearly any and all plans involving being in the North East into a nice big mess.

You see, our move was scheduled for January 6-8th. Two days to pack, one to load and then we could be on our way to Texas early on January 9th. Plenty of time to get it all done with little stress.  Ha...

What went wrong? Well, for starters, our assigned moving crew found themselves on January 6th in Atlanta with all flights cancelled. For ice. What? Ice in Atlanta? Seriously? So, they rented a car and drove all day and night long to Pennsylvania to pick up the moving truck which they would then drive to Syracuse and be to us and packing no later than noon on the 7th. Except when they got to the truck, the temperatures were so cold that the diesel fuel had frozen to a slush in the truck's gas tank. I didn't even know that was possible!

That being the case, it was no impossible for our crew to move us, so we got an emergency assignment to a new crew that had just finished a job in Boston. They hopped on the road and got to us about 6 pm on January 7th. Fully 33 hours after our move was supposed to start. They now needed to cram our 3 day pack and load into a day and a half.

Our crew was kind of awesome. They started working immediately and packed late into the night. The packed and loaded with high temperatures of 8* and negative windchills. I've never been more glad to hire movers. Ever.

By 4 pm on January 8th, nearly everything we owned was boxed (with varying degrees of care) and loaded onto a 53" moving truck. Surprisingly, we took up a LOT of the truck... about 2/3rd. Who knew he had so much stuff?

It was really strange to walk around our boxed up house. The house we put so much time effort into making ours. I think I'll miss that house. It was a really great first home for us. :)

Luckily, but the morning of the 9th the cold had lifted some and we have no trouble with delays for our flights to Austin. And the kids did amazing. Especially Lindsey. She spend lots of time playing with those great princess figures that Santa left her

 And then this happened. Best thing ever. :)

No comments: